Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mom Friends Needed

momstown Winnipeg wrote a great blog post called the Dreaded Playdate. Go and read it. I'll wait, just promise you will come back. Here is another from momstown's Christy

I know I have felt this way. Afraid to put yourself out there, afraid that the other moms will judge you. It can be hard to make mom friends.

I moved to Central Alberta when my oldest was 3 months old. Didn't know anyone but my family, and no one with a baby. My sisters would come and visit me before they ventured out on the town. On the rare occasion I could join them, it was a very carefully orchestrated evening planned around feedings. It was invariably an early evening, with maybe 1 glass of wine, while I constantly watched the clock, so as not to be late and have my parents having to deal with a crying grandchild that they would not be so keen on watching again the next time I needed a break.

My mom saw an ad in the local paper about a parents group, and she suggested I attend. I did reluctantly, as this was not my sort of thing, but I was desperate. I needed a mom friend!! This group wasn't what I was looking for, but I met another mom, and we hit it off! She was a life saver that first year!

Next I joined a strollercise class, again desperately wanting mom friends. Luckily I wasn't the only one, as we somehow arranged to have coffee after class twice a week, which eventually led to playdates.

I did finally meet some moms, but it was a lot of work! How I wish momstown was in my neighbourhood in 2003!!!

So if you have found momstown, and are nervous about meeting other moms for the first time. I GET IT. Almost everyone of us has had to walk into the room alone without knowing a soul. I encourage you do just do it. Come to the new member meet up. Find me, introduce yourself. Come to the new member coffee date at my house. Or just Email me. We also have registered playgroups, some still have space.

I can't promise that you will become best friends with everyone. But I am pretty sure you will make some mom friends, you will get out of the house and you will be glad you did.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog - so tough to make "mommy friends" sometimes! Similar to my take on things - http://momstown-moments.momstown.ca/node/323

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited the post and added your awesome blog post Christy! We all need a friend who will share our last glass of wine with!

      Delete