I had no idea what this was until it was a topic on our message board, with the hope of members finding one for their families.
I think they are a great idea, super cute... but you don't need one. Growing up we knew about the Elves! My mom made sure we knew they were watching, and they made us believe AND behave, without ever really seeing anything. Oh sure there were many times I was sure I saw "something" when my mom told me that "the elves" just saw me misbehaving...
My sisters and I loved the Elves story my mom told us, it is one of our favorite holiday memories.

I loved it so much, and thought it so ingenious, I decided I would pass along this same story to my girls... except my oldest seems to be a much more discerning listener. Where my sisters and I just believed, my daughter checks up on me!
One time when she was 4, she was behaving badly, so I used what my moms told me on her. I told her I just saw an elf looking through the front door window, and they saw her bad behavior, and they would be telling Santa... What does she do? She goes to the door opens it, looks out and asks "if there was an elf there, why don't I see any footprints?!?!" I was not prepared to answer questions!! ha ha.
I guess I just believed and never questioned my moms story. But then again, I figured out my parents were Santa when I was in grade 2. My oldest is in grade 3 and still believes. I know this is helped by such things as "Magic Santa", who has already sent a video via email to her... and because I have become smarter... If I see tracks in the snow, I make sure I show them to her and tell her I think they may be elf footprints...
So I don't think I will purchase the Elf on the Shelf, it seems like an awful lot of work, and invites WAY more questions... my oldest has seen one, and asks why she never sees the elf move, how come it looks like a doll, will it really lose its magic if I touch it? Here is another blog about The Elf on the Shelf, it is super funny discussing "Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies". Truly hilarious.
I love the Elves story my mom told us, and I will continue this tradition with my 3 girls, getting smarter about it every year!
No comments:
Post a Comment