Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Technology and Two Year Olds

Did you know they do not always mix?

This past week has been a crazy week for technology issues involving a certain two year old in our house, who we love dearly, really!

First thing was that she got a hold of Dad's cell phone, managed to take the battery off and decided to "skate" with it. Yes SKATE! One half of the phone was one skate and the battery was the other. We didn't realize what she was doing as she was in the kitchen and all I could hear was "kate" "kating". I went to see and sure enough, Dad's phone had been transformed into skates, on our hardwood floor!

The next instance was with our ipad. I thought I had put it away high enough that she couldn't reach it. She proved me wrong. I went to use it and the accessibility features had been turned on. So imagine you are blind and want to use an ipad. It speaks to you. NON-STOP.  Every button you click, every twitter notification you receive... and do you think we could figure out how to turn this feature off? NOPE.

The last event was the most catastrophic. And I do take some of the blame. Some.

I had left my lap top on the table, and went to make a sandwich for this darling 2 year old. OF course with my back turned, she grabbed my tea (that I had moved far away from my laptop so that this wouldn't happen) and dumped it onto the table, and it ran down the table and touched the laptop. I ran and picked it up immediately, dried it off.

I packed the two little ones into the car and headed to the shop to see if the laptop was salvageable, and if not at least the hard drive... and well the hard drive was. While I was in the store, with one child screaming the other telling the whole store "I pooped my pants" finding out the laptop was done and asking the technician to please turn off the accessibility features on the ipad, he asked me if I was having a good day.  Glad he has a sense of humor!

5 comments:

  1. haha Technology and children are not meant to share the same home! My daughter poured her own milk for her cereal last week..from a 4L jug...over our laptop. Luckily it was covered by the warranty, although it does say that misuse and accidents are not covered. Thank God for the technician at HP who opened it and saw the milk covered mother board and was nice enough to just replace it for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely technician... any bets that s/he has kids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Tanya. That is beyond! Did you get a new laptop? Are the floors/cell phone okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a new laptop thanks to insurance and surprisingly the phone is perfectly OK. The floors, have a few marks, that we will remind her of as she gets older! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2-year olds rock!!! Actually it's my 10-month old that's obsessed with technology, and nope she won't fall for the remote with the batteries taken out. Has to be the wii remote, cellphone, lightbulb, or tangle of cords tucked away. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete