Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Public Temper Tantrums

This evening in Red Deer the Red Deer's Biggest Christmas Tree Festival and Christmas Parade, was held. For the past two years it has been cancelled because it was -25, but this year we have had a Chinook wind blow in, and the temperature was right, so, I promised my oldest that we would do downtown to see the festivities. Oldest had seen Toronto's Santa Claus Parade on television on the weekend, so I had to keep reminding her that this was not in the same league! ha ha but she was very much looking forward to it nonetheless.

I checked the website and saw that events started at 6pm, and we arrived downtown at about 5:50, found a good spot and waited.

I have blogged about my toddler before, and her public temper tantrums, and yes this is the same theme! She is almost 21 months old, and temper tantrums are par for the course. So she didn't have as much patience as the rest of us, in waiting for the parade to start. She wanted DOWN, which wasn't going to happen on the parade route downtown, as she is a runner! So she started to cry, and scream, and have a temper tantrum. I am used to these now, and I just wait them out, knowing that when the parade starts all will be forgotten.

While we were waiting, and while toddler DD was crying, a mother daughter "team" started to make comments, loudly about my crying daughter. Not the consoling kind of "oh we have been there" but the accusatory kind, saying things like "I need earplugs" "this is ridiculous, why do we have to be subjected to this" and she has snot all over her face". They were less than 3 feet from me, so they knew I could hear them!

I couldn't hold my thoughts in any longer, so I asked them had they never had a screaming child before? I also asked them to give me a break, and where was their Christmas Spirit? I also reminded them that it was a SANTA CLAUS PARADE and that kids were present!! I also stated that my oldest had been so excited about this event and I didn't think it was fair to her to haul everyone back to the car.

I still cannot believe people were so ignorant at an outdoor event for children, about a toddler crying. I can understand if we were in a movie theatre and we were ruining a movie for others, or at a restaurant, but at the Santa Claus Parade? What are your thoughts? What would you have done? Has this ever happened to you?

8 comments:

  1. Way to go Tanya! I would probably done the same as you, no I have done the same as you at my husbands work picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Some people are so ignorant. Or maybe her child is an angel and has NEVER acted up in public... ya right.

    Been there, done that.( with the fussy child) And I would of stayed too. Hope you were able to enjoy it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Tanya!! If it's any consolation, my baby screamed through the whole thing and I'm sure annoyed the heck out of everyone around us. I can't believe the ignorance of some people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ignorance is not dealing with the screaming and annoying all the other people who were there to enjoy a public event... what would have happened to a screaming adult? why should the public be expected to tolerate this behaviour because the adult refuses to deal with the child? ridiculous assumptions that everyone should have to suffer. unbelievable in fact. grow up, take some responsiblility and think about someone other than yourself next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. if you know how to immediately stop a tantrum of an almost 2 year old, please do share!!!
    The parade is geared towards kids, kids cry. Instead of making rude comments, why not offer some help?? Distraction maybe? A new face noticing her behaviour? Nasty comments do nothing productive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! That comment is ignorant. I am quite sure the mom tried everything to prevent/hault the tantrum. Its quite apparent that you do not have children and if you can't handle a crying child. Then leave!! The difference between an adult and child....is that adults have reason, maturity, understand consequences, understanding, etc etc which we all know children at 2 don't understand. Really your question about what would happen to an adult? Really??? Pretty uneducated....what do you think would happen? Anyways if these ignorant people had a problem with a child crying LEAVE (its a huge open space) or DEAL with it. To the ignorant comment.....Karma's a BITCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we've all been there (or 90% of the commenters here have!) and I'm with you - sometimes you have to stick it out and deal with the crying, and people just need to be tolerant. It's a children's event - and children are unpredictable! Good for you for standing up to the 'team'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with the majority. You did the right thing, when you have more than one child to consider the decision to leave is not black and white.

    ReplyDelete