Saturday, August 25, 2012

Wish you were MORE of a Crafty mom?

I always thought that when I became a mother I would LOVE the crafty, creative, rainy day games part of motherhood.... as it turns out... not so much - when I try to craft with my kids there is tears shed virtually every time (theirs, mine, both). This expectation really disappointed me and over the years I have dipped my toe back in... thinking that maybe mu oldest is now old enough - but no - the most frustrating thing is when I find a craft and buy all the stuff for it and then she wants to just "freestyle" - I realize the mature thing to do would be to just "go with it" but I can't.

I have however accidentally stumbled upon an equivalent way to create with my girls and we just love it - mutually - no tears shed - just smiles and love. We all love to bake together.

The accidental part was when I was a fairly new mom to my first child and I imagined that I was going to be all organic wheat grass growing mama... another expectation destroyed... apparently I am too lazy! Anyways, it is important for me to teach my kids that we don't need to buy everything from a box and we can create wholesome and delicious food for ourselves with REAL ingredients.

I love our time together doing this, I love finding the recipe together (accidentally teaching some computer skills), collecting all the ingredients (accidentally learning to read) measuring (you get the picture) and I simply love the smiles on their faces as well work together and obviously the way they enjoy the fruits of their labour.

*Guest Blogger Kelly is a mom of two gorgeous girls, her youngest who has cystic fibrosis. She is also the President of the Central Alberta Chapter of the Central Alberta Chapter Cystic Fibrosis Canada, and has newly taken on the roll of Ad Rep for momstown Central Alberta!

Are you in same position as Kelly? Wishing you were more or a better "crafty mom" Do you need inspiration in the kitchen to cook or bake with your kids? Are you a member of momstown? We cover these, and so much more in our monthly program events! Including our Craft events - Art & Play and momstown Monet, as well as our Junior Chef event. Check our calendar for all the details, and it is all just for $45/year.

No comments:

Post a Comment