Thursday, January 17, 2013
Should Kids wear Helmets while Sledding?
Should our kids be wearing helmets when out sledding?
This has been a hot topic on the momstown Central Alberta message board and at our events.
Moms want to know, do your kids wear helmets while they are sledding?
Does it depend how big the hill is?
At a recent event, a momstown Dad was seriously hurt from his toboggan ride, with his kids! He ended up in emergency with bruised kidneys!!
If you google kids sledding helmets, you will find articles on both sides, but most pro helmet articles are supported by doctors that have seen too many kids hurt, often seriously all because they weren't wearing a helmet.
Recently a Red Deer boy, nearly 3 years old fractured his skull and orbital bone from sledding down the popular Michener Hill. Doctors at both the Red Deer Regional Hospital and the Alberta Children's Hospital say the boy was very fortunate to not have suffered brain damage, after being in a medically induced coma. The details can be found here.
Some of the messages on our board have been about being a "Dork mom" with your kids wearing a helmet sledding. Something I certainly never did growing up, and I am sure most moms didn't either.
After reading what happened to the local Red Deer boy, I think our family is going to send our kids out with Helmets on.
What about you? Do your kids wear helmets?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
great article Tanya, really makes me think, I think I'm swinging over from the no helmet side to the yes helmet side...
ReplyDelete